An ingrown toenail is a common problem where the nail grows into the toe. Ingrown toenail usually affects the big toe.
- Soak the affected toe in warm water 3 to 4 times a day – this decreases the swelling of skin and prevents the nail growing into it.
- Wear wide, comfortable shoes or sandals.
- Do not cut the toenail – allow it to grow out.
- Do not wear tight, pointy shoes.
- Consult your dermatologist in case conservative (non-surgical) management fails.
- Nail Avulsion under local anesthesia followed by phenolisation of the lateral matrix horn can be performed by your dermatologist.
Post Surgical Care
- Bed rest for one day.
- Restricted activity for two weeks.
- Normal routine activity can be resumed from 3rd week.