An ingrown toenail is a painful condition where the nail grows into the toe.
- Soak affected toe in warm water 3 – 4 times a day– this softens the skin around the toe and stops the nail growing into it.
- Keep the foot dry for rest of the day.
- Wear wide, comfortable shoes or open sandals
- Take NSAID’s to ease the pain
- Do not cut the toenail – leave it to grow out
- Do not pick at toenail
- Do not wear tight, pointy shoes
See a Dermatologist if:
- Treating at home isn’t helping
- Toe is painful and swollen with pus oozing out of it
- Temperature is high or you feel hot and shivery
- You are diabetic.
Treatments for an ingrown toenail
A Dermatologist can:
- Confirm diagnosis
- Give you antibiotics for infected toenail
- Cut away part of the nail
- Remove the whole nail.
Alocal anestheticis injectedto numb your toe when this is done.
How to prevent ingrown toenails
- Do not cut your toenails too short
- Cut straight across the nail, avoid the edges
- Do not wear shoes that are too tight or do not fit properly